Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Just a quick question regarding carp bait.?

Hi, I live near Lake Michigan and as a lot of you probably already know the carp in there are large and plentiful and given a certain amount of patience they are willing biters. I just have one problem. I've been using a commercial bait called "Uncle Josh Carp Bait" There's no doubt it's a good bait because it's bright colored, releases scent into the water nicely and it's easy to form into a dough-ball but the particular container of bait I bought was pretty soft and it's very hard to get it to stay on the hook. On the back of the tub it says that if the bait is too soft to mix it with fine dirt. I might try that as a last resort but in the mean time I'm searching for alternate methods. Does anybody know how to make an affective homemade carp bait that's nice and firm? You know, soft enough to be appealing to the fish but firm enough that it will stay on the hook with ease and withstand intense casting? Not that this is too huge a problem but I'm also looking for a bait that's appealing to carp but also something that those annoying nibbling sunfish will ignore and not destroy. Is there also a way that I could maybe keep the bait I already have on the hook easier? Maybe I should use regular bread dough, it seems pretty strong, would it work? Are carp attracted to large night crawlers? I know they work for catfish and they are almost guaranteed to stay on the hook but the sunfish and gobies would probably tear them up before the carp ever got to them. Well anyway thanks, I'm hoping to head out to the marina in again today so if there's a bait I could prepare in just a few hours that would be nice. I sure hope you fellow fishermen out there can help. Thanks a bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment